Dienstag, 8. Januar 2013

TWD: Pizza with Onion Confit

The Pizza with Onion Confit is one of the reasons I like the "new" book (in fact, it is really not that new at all, anymore...) - making also savory dishes from time to time is really a nice change and after all the Christmas-sweets just right.

I made the Onion Confit with pearl onion, because I had leftovers from the New Years-eve raclette. I know, this is a bit like betraying, because I might be the only one without red swollen and tearful eyes. But the pickles had to vanish and if I find an easy way out - I confess - I take it.

It was pretty easy to cook, but takes some time, about an hour. The red wine and vinegar give the onions a wonderful, dark red/violet colour. Instead of wine-vinegar and cream de cassis I used cassis-vinegar. I felt really clever when I found the small bottle of cassis vinegar and had this smart idea. :o]

The pizza dough is not too difficult. It was my first pizza but turned out fine. I can imagine including some more herbs in the dough next time. Because I have a pizza function in my oven, the baking sheet has to go into the middle of it, not in the lower third. Something I learned...

For the topping I used the onion confit, sour cream, cocktail tomatos, black olive rings and salmon. And some seasoning, of course. How delicious!

I am eager to find out about all the different variations of toppings the group made!

Our host this week ist Paul of The Boy Can Bake - obviously one of the few men in the group. Head over to his blog to find out about the recipe, or buy the book by Dorie Greenspan! (it's on pp 159/160).

10 Kommentare:

  1. Pearl onions! What a great idea. The cutting of the onions was a tearful event for me!!
    Glad you had a good experience for your first pizza.

    AntwortenLöschen
  2. I LOVE pearl onions -- good for you, I'll bet they were great! Blessings, Catherine

    AntwortenLöschen
  3. Great looking pizza!
    You did a fantastic job!

    AntwortenLöschen
  4. Indeed, we all have different coloured onions. But yours sounds delicious too, with salmon and sour cream. A great idea for a next time try.

    AntwortenLöschen
  5. This was a nice easy crust to learn with; I thought it gave very satisfying results. Neat way to finish up your pearl onions, and I am sure your finished pizza was delicious.

    AntwortenLöschen
  6. Adding herbs to the dough would be a great idea. Your toppings sound delicious.

    AntwortenLöschen
  7. Variations in Pizza make it FUN! Look forward to making it...and I may change a few things too! :)

    Carmen
    http://bakingismyzen.wordpress.com

    AntwortenLöschen
  8. I thought of adding herbs and/or cheese to the dough. Next time. Congrats on your first pizza.

    AntwortenLöschen
  9. Congratulations on a successful first pizza!
    Pearl onions were a great idea

    AntwortenLöschen
  10. The pearl onions look great! I don't know if I would have the patience to peel them all - or can you buy them already peeled? Your first pizza came out great and sounds delicious.

    AntwortenLöschen